Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cast Your Worries to the Lord

Words of wisdom easily said, but not so easy to do at all times. My younger son and his family just visited, and he told me not to worry, and that he doesn't worry about anything. To be quite honest, he doesn't have to worry. From an earthly perspective he is blessed with parents who support him and love him, warts and all. He is blessed with a wife who loves him and children who are just adorable. He has never known insecurity even during the trials and tribulations of growing up. No matter what, he knew his parents loved him, and what a blessing.

His mother on the other hand grew up completely insecure about so many issues in life. My worry pattern was ingrained at a very young age, and for some reason, it keeps rearing its ugly head no matter how blessed I am. And I am blessed! I have a husband who loves me most of the time because sometimes I am truly unlovable. He's has never missed a paycheck and never even asks about the expenses. I report to him occasionally when the savings account is starting to get too low, and we both curb our spending until we are in the black again. Our retirement is in place, and in five short years we will retire, and more than likely hit the road and travel to places we haven't seen. We are both road warriors and enjoy seeing new sights.

When I asked my son how he doesn't worry, he quickly said that he lets God handle his life. Now, I pray and thank God and let Him handle my life, most of the time. That must be the difference in having a worry free life and a worrisome life. What do I worry about?

Well, my children's happiness, the country's decline, the wars and rumors of war, my son's deployment, the Taliban's revenge, our country's safety, and I could go on and on. I know what the bible says about worry, but it is hard to watch the news and not be horrified at the actions of one human against another. I actually prefer to think of my worry issues as caution in life.

Our world has gotten so complex that it is foolish to just go with the flow. I consider it prudent to guard my heart. God gives me peace when there is no peace. I find joy in the Lord on the days that present no joy. My son says to stop watching the news, but I would rather know what is happening than to be surprised by the bad stuff.

I know I drive my family crazy sometimes, but most of the time, I am the supporting parent who is always there for them. I am just thankful that God is always there for me. I don't know if I will ever be free of worry, but I continue to seek a life free from strife, whether imaginary or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment