Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ten Years Is a Long Time

I cried myself silly while reading another blogger's tribute to her father. A social friend from years back, the man honored passed away tragically in a jet crash after taking off from one of the Houston airports. The sweet blogger was my older son's first crush in middle school, and a favorite of all who knew her and her family. The kids went to church, Sunday school, church camps, school camps, and public schools together. I worked for her grandfather before I had my younger son. Her story was one of triumph and hope for the future. This generation of kids from one of my many hometowns is truly a blessing through the social connections of Facebook.

I started thinking about the journeys we all take day in and day out, and before we know it a decade has passed. I probably have one really good decade left on this earth, and I intend to make the best of it. My sons, who are ten years apart in age, have blessed me with grandchildren these last three years, and my world has taken on the perspective of being a granny. My husband is fighting the grandparent idea tooth and nail, and actually takes offense at the fact that I have a baby carrier in my back seat. For some reason it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I take pride in the fact that I have lived long enough to see my grands be born. I never understood the complete joy my mom always seemed to have when the grand kids were in her charge. As a great grand, her enthusiasm is starting to fail as age makes her patience shorter, but I see more smiles, concerning yet another generation, than frowns. I too, find that I smile most of the time I am with my grands.

It's like getting a second chance at just loving life and the blessings of childhood. When I raised my sons, I was always in the middle of life and its challenges: a job, transfers, compromises to keep peace in my world. I know I experienced the joys of raising my children, but life happened so fast that I find myself still wondering where yesteryear went. It was just there a minute ago.

When I get to spend time with my grands I get to reflect about their fathers and how they were at that age. The similar personalities and curiosities are truly fun to behold, and I admit it. I enjoy seeing a little of myself in this new generation. Most importantly, I enjoy the idea of the future, and what tomorrow can bring to these precious possessions. I also get to dance when I want, and I get to be smothered in kisses and hugs. Yes, the future does look bright, and before I know it, another ten years will have come and gone. I am realistic enough to know that there will be tears along the way, but in my heart there will also be triumphs, and that is what I will choose to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment